Camper & Bus Show Eastnor Castle

Camper & Bus show at Eastnor Castle

Advertisements

Junkyard Racked And Repaired . . .

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The Junkyard has been a fantastic workhorse taking us to shows, camping trips and alike but after our last adventure was getting a tad noisy so time for some investigation.

Suspecting a leaking carburettor or exhaust, I removed the carburettors and the gaskets looked shot but after further investigation discovered the J Tube is leaking on the rear near number 1, I have ordered up a new exhaust and replacement gaskets. so have ordered some replacements.

I removed the J Tubes and refitted with new gaskets, then fitted the replacement EMPI single pack and header exhaust system which all went on without a hitch. I then set about replacing the gaskets and refitting the carburettors and linkage. Run it up and tuned it by hand best I could get it and it is running fine again.

I had also picked up my new roof rack and ladder fabricated by Keith a member of our local VW club and what a fantastic job he’s done. Never been the greatest fan of roof racks but with a family it becomes a bit of a necessity with all the gear you end up bringing with you and this metal rack suited the bill.

Last but not least gave the van a fresh coat of collinite wax to preserve the patina as they say our next stop will be Camper & Bus show at Eastnor Castle so till then.

VW ’66’ 13 Window Delux (Junkyard)

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Lisa originally bought this 1966 13 window deluxe, after we sold the Samba, she first saw it at Stonor Park VW Expo and it was owned by a local one local VW restorer in Andover who we know and a deal was done and the van became Lisa’s. It’s one of those marmite vans you love or hate and it was affectionately nicknamed the Junkyard.

It had a valid MOT and was running when we bought it but has needed a fair bit of work to get it in a condition that I was happy for Lisa to drive. First thing we had to go through was the electrics as they were in a bit of a state, while I was at it I replaced the rear lights from US to UK spec.  Next step was to overhaul the front brakes and I swapped the shocks all round for  KYB GR2′s to improve the ride. I had to do some welding repairs to the battery tray, drivers seat and front floor. Lisa invested in new window rubbers for all the windows and also set about having the locks work from one key with the exception of the cargo door which needs the elusive L code (rare as rocking horse poo).

Interior wise it needs a bit of love and attention, the old trim although some was original was in a shocking state so we wrapped the whole inside in hessian to keep the rugged look, replaced the mdf wooden boards and covered the foam into some material more to my wife’s taste than mine along with window blinds for all the windows. The van was running fine locally and Lisa used it as her daily driver up until we made our first big trip to the British Volkswagen Festival  in the beautiful Malverns. About three quarters of the way there the carburettor started playing up and whatever I did it wouldn’t idle properly. We made it there had a great time and left midday Sunday just to give us plenty of time to get back.  I removed the engine only to discover it was a 1300 so ditched it and replaced it with the1500 from the Firetruck and we haven’t had any major issues since.

Lisa started her own business so required a more suitable vehicle we were going to sell it but I took it on while the Firetruck was still being restored and kept it as my run around visiting shows and camping trips apart from pinching the Firetruck headlamps after an MOT advisory one year and its annual coating of Collinite all has been good.